DESIGN TRUST GRANT APPLICATION PROCESS
- To start an application, please set up a grant application account here.
- Complete the DESIGN TRUST ONLINE APPLICATION FORM and prepare relevant supplementary documentation including:
1. Project Budget Worksheet (maximum of one page, please include income, expenses and amount sought for the grant)
2. Planning, Implementation and Operational Timeline
3. Presentation of the Project (For videos and other digital or online materials, please ensure the presentation contains relevant hyperlinks)
4. Previous Work Samples or Portfolio (For videos and other digital or online materials, please ensure the presentation contains relevant hyperlinks)
5. Two professional or academic recommendation letters in support of the project
6. CV of the Main Applicant
7. For Applications by Collectives: CV of All Members in the Group
8. For Non-profit organisations: business registration and/or non-profit declaration
- Applications will be reviewed quarterly and shortlisted for assessment by the Design Trust Grant Evaluation Panel
- Where necessary, shortlisted applicants will be invited to be interviewed
- Successful or unsuccessful will be sent via an email notification within 8 to 10 weeks of the application
- All successful grant applicants will have to sign an agreement with Design Trust to undertake the responsibility of the successful implementation of the project/work
- Design Trust may provide full or partial funding of the requested amount, on a case-by-case basis
- First installment of grant amount is released upon 14 days of signing of the agreement
- Remaining installments, where applicable, will be released within 8 to 10 weeks from receipt of successful review(s) and/or completion reports of the project
- In the case of longer term projects, or projects which receive grants valued over HKD 100,000, mid-term review of projects will be required
- As part of the mid-term review, grantees will be required to submit an interim presentation of the project’s progress
- Completion reports / material showing the successful execution of the project must be submitted within two months of the project’s completion
- For enquiries please contact our Grants Team at grantapplication@designtrust(dot)hk.
How many times can I apply?
You can apply up to 4 times per calendar year. Each applicant can only have 1 live Design Trust funded project at a time. For applicants who are past grant recipients looking to apply for the same project, the maximum number of application is three times.
When is the deadline?
The deadline for application is midnight (Hong Kong time) on the closing date. We strongly recommend submitting before the deadline. Grant advice and technical support is only provided during business hours and up until 5:00pm on the closing date. Late applications will not be considered. Application Deadlines: 20th of January*, 20th of April, 20th of July and 20th of October.
Do I need to submit portfolios of works from all members of a collective?
For collectives, Design Trust only require a collective portfolio of the applicant group. If a collective portfolio is not available, please kindly submit all individual portfolios.
When will I be notified about the outcome of my application?
Successful or unsuccessful, all applicants will be sent via an email notification within 8 to 10 weeks of the application. All successful grant applicants will have to sign an agreement with Design Trust to undertake the responsibility of the successful implementation of the project.
When will I receive payment of the grant if my application is successful?
Design Trust may provide full or partial funding of the requested amount, on a case-bycase basis. First installment of grant amount is released upon 14 days of signing of the agreement. Remaining installments, where applicable, will be released within 8 to 10 weeks from receipt of successful review(s) and/or completion reports of the project
WHAT WE FUND
Do you support creative research and development?
Yes. Creative research and development is a key component in enriching knowledge regionally and internationally. You can apply for funding for research and development along with programmes that will benefit Hong Kong and the Greater Bay Area region.
Do you offer funding for books?
While Design Trust supports funding for books, the book must have a broad impact on Hong Kong, the Greater Bay Area and internationally. Other supplementary programmes alongside a publication project may increase the likelihood of success.
Do you fund feature film, television or documentary?
While Design Trust supports funding for feature film, television or documentary, they must have a broad impact on Hong Kong, the Greater Bay Area and internationally. Other supplementary programmes may increase the likelihood of success.
Do you offer funding for research as part of an academic programme?
Applications that are part of an academic programme, and that are part of assessable coursework are unlikely to be successful, depending on final decisions made by our independent panel of evaluators.
Can I include designer fees in my budget?
Yes. Design Trust expects that designers and academics professionally employed or engaged on Design Trust-funded activities will be remunerated for their work in line with industry standards. Payment of designer fees should be reflected in your application
Can I include travel and living expenses in my budget?
Design Trust funding is only for direct costs on research, production, educational items, programmes, and exhibitions. Please consider funding any travel and living expenses from other sources.
Is there a limit for duration of projects?
Yes, each Design Trust Seed Grant must be completed within a duration of 12 months, Feature Grants must be completed within 24 months.